Norwegian Apple Cake



Due to the snow storms, and living where we live, I couldn't pop out and buy sugar, so I had to substitute the sugar with light syrup. I substituted the milk for water, as I always do.

Also, you'll notice that the measurements in the original recipe (also at the bottom of the post) are given in decilitres - this is what they do here in Norway. It's taken me a good few years to fathom out how to convert, quickly, dls into something I can work with.

So here's my recipe:

Ingredients
3 eggs, room temperature*
100mls syrup
100mls water, approx, cold/room temperature
450mls spelt flour (+ half a cup, if too wet, which mine was)
100g butter
2.5 tsp baking powder
3(5 if layering) medium eating apples
1tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
cinnamon + sugar for sprinkling on the top

Melt the butter and add the syrup to it while it's still warm. Stir until it's a uniform consistency. Leave to cool while you beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.

Add the water to the butter and then whisk the butter mix into the eggs. Sift in the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

Mix well to combine. (I used an electric, handheld mixer)

Pour into a greased or lined baking tray. Deseed and cut the apples into wedges (no need to peel!) and bake at 180oC/Gas mark 4, for 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out 'clean'... you'll have to gauge what's wet batter and what's wet apple.

*It's important that the eggs are room temperature. If they're straight from the fridge, they's cool the butter and it will solidify before it blends and create a curdled looking thing. Not good.

I used a 25cms x 18 cms baking tray.


With such a limited surface area, there was only room for three apples shoved into the mix, which meant there was a lot of cake with no apple.

A lot of cake with no apple!



Next time, rather than use a larger tray, I'll just layer the batter with the apple wedges - batter, apple wedges, batter, apple wedges... but I might use a slightly bigger tray, because the extra apple would make it more volumous, and therefore it will take even longer to cook. Mine took a good 50 minutes as it was.





Here's the ORIGINAL recipe, translated from Norwegian:

Note: I actually read the recipe wrong - I thought it read 1.5dls of sugar, so I only used 100mls of syrup. Both Kenneth 39 and Noah 10 said it was sweet enough!
Oddly, the original recipe had no cinnamon in the actually batter, so I added a teaspoon.

Ingredients
3 eggs
3.5 dls sugar
1.5 dl milk
4.5 dl flour
100g butter
2.5 tsp baking powder
5-6 medium eating apples
cinnamon + sugar for sprinkling on the top


Mix the eggs and sugar together.
 Melt the butter and add the milk.
Stir the milk + butter mix into the egg + sugar mix.
Sift in the flour and baking powder and combine well.
Pour into a greased or line baking tray.
Peel and deseed the apples and cut into wedges. push into the batter, tighly spaced.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Bake at 180oC for 30 minutes

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dark Winter Journey

First Home Essentials - A Checklist

My Music Muddle